Many things can effect how fast your body burns calories. Age and gender are a couple things we can’t control, but one thing we can do is boost our metabolism which has a huge effect in how fast your body burns calories. Here are 10 ways you can increase your metabolism.
1) Drink plenty of water. Your body needs water to process calories so if you are even a little dehydrated you metabolism will slow down. Try to drink 8-10 glasses of water or unsweetened beverage each day.
2) Intensify your workouts. When I’m on the treadmill I like to set it at a nice pace and get in the zone for about an hour without changing it up. That’s a habit I think a lot of us get into. Whether you are on a treadmill, exercise bike, or any other type of exercise, try adding occasional bursts of intense workout. You don’t need to try anything you can’t handle, just step it up a little for 30 seconds to a minute every 5 minutes or so and get your heart rate up a bit.
3) Don’t skip the weights. Your resting metabolic rate is higher in people with more muscle. That means your body will naturally burn more calories even when not working out if you can gain some muscle mass.
4) Energy Drinks. They can actually increase your metabolism on top of increasing your energy. You have to be careful what kind of energy drink you are taking though. Most of them big, sugary, high calorie drinks will just give you added calories to have to burn off. Look for the low or no calorie energy shots with taurine in it. I use an all-natural energy shot which I buy from the all-natural wellness company that I mention in a previous blog post. Here is the link to my website where you can read more about that company. If you have high blood pressure, anxiety, or sleeping issues like sleep apnea or insomnia then you should be careful and talk to your doctor before taking any highly caffeinated drinks.
5) Snacking. If you are eating larger meals and waiting many hours between them your metabolism can slow down in-between and you will have to build it back up. Eat smaller, healthy meals/snacks throughout the day that will keep your metabolism cranking all day long.
6) Protein. Your body burns more calories when digesting protein then it does fat or carbs. As part of a balance diet try replacing some carbs with lean, protein-rich foods such as fish, turkey, lean beef, beans, and eggs.
7) Spice up your food. Capsaicin , the active ingredient in peppers, can temporarily increase your metabolic rate. Capsaicin has been said to have many other health benefits including fighting inflammation which could include fighting inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and may help to protect the heart by reducing cholesterol, triglycerides and platelet aggregation.
8) Black coffee. Coffee is good for many of the same reasons as some energy drinks. Coffee is said to have many other health benefits, but if you are a coffee lover, like myself, you could reverse any of the good health benefits by adding sugar and cream. Studies have show that coffee drinkers verses non-coffee drinkers are less likely to have type 2 diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, and dementia, and have fewer cases of certain cancers, heart rhythm problems, and strokes.
9) Green tea or oolong tea. Both offer benefits of caffeine and catechins which can increase the metabolism for a couple hours, helping you burn up to 17% more calories during an intense workout. Again, you don’t want to add sugar. Try it with ice and a squeeze of lemon or if you must sweeten it try a zero calorie sweetener like stevia.
10) Avoid crash diets. Crash diets might help you lose pounds, but you are sacrificing nutrition. In the long run you want to have a healthy, well nourished body to help burn those calories well into the future. Also, there is a case to be made that eating a well balanced diet and focusing on increasing your metabolism will help you lose weight faster then just depriving yourself of food. If you are a woman you should stay above 1200 calories or a man above 1800 calories even when dieting.
I hope these tips can help you accomplish your weight loss goals. You can do it!